Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Origins of Breakdancing: Soviet Army

It's amazing how many people think that the roots of breakdancing are African Americans or Puerto Ricans. This is what I used to think as well, until I did some research and found astonishing results. Breakdancing is a very old Soviet Army dance they used to perform infront of the people. This dance represented the commitment and the power of the Soviet Army. I added a video I found on YouTube that will show you how they used to perform it. Of course breakdancing has evolved now into an amazing performance and it's very popular as it's acknowledged in music videos, as a dancing style and even as a hobby. Shockingly Wikipedia presented incomplete information about breakdancing. I requested to update their information with the entire research I have done and it will be posted soon on Associated Content website. The last piece of information I will be posting about this matter in my blog is that African Americans in the early 1960's developed the breakdancing we know now by immitating the Soviets and creating new harder moves. This was for the purpose of intimidating other people.